How to Purchase
- Choose a product
- Locate an SOT holder or NFA dealer in your state. You can find a local dealer by visiting SilencerCo’s
- NFA transfers can take a significant amount of time to process and therefore tie up the dealer’s inventory. Because of this, once you choose a silencer, the dealer may require that you pay for the product in full or provide a deposit
- If the dealer has your silencer in stock, it will be separated from the rest of the inventory to ensure that you have a product serial number for your Form 4
- Once you have an assigned product serial number, the dealer will then give you two BATFE Form 4’s (5320.4) [Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm] with the serial number and various details of the product entered in the appropriate section. If you are making this purchase as an individual, you will fill in both copies of the Form 4 as well as a BATFE Form 5330.20 Certification of Compliance (certification of US citizenship) with your personal information. If you are making this purchase through your Trust or LLC, fill in the name and address of your Trust or LLC; a Form 5330.20 will not be required.
- At this point, if you are purchasing the silencer as an individual, you will need your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) to sign your Form 4. Most often, this is your local Sheriff, Chief of Police, or deputy/officer appointed by the CLEO to sign on their behalf. While at the police station, have two copies of finger print cards made – this will be needed when you mail in your Form 4. If you are purchasing the silencer through your Trust, you will not need the signature of your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer or fingerprint cards.
- Finally, send in the following items to the BATFE according to whether you a purchasing the silencer as an individual or through a Trust/LLC
- CHECK OR MONEY ORDER MADE THE BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES
- BOTH COPIES OF THE COMPLETED TWO FINGERPRINT CARDS
- TWO PASSPORT PHOTOS COMPLETED FORM 5330.20
TRUST OR LLC:
- CHECK OR MONEY ORDER MADE TO THE BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES
- BOTH COPIES OF THE COMPLETED FORM 4’S
- A COPY OF YOUR TRUST OR LLC’S ARTICLES ON INCORPORATION
* We recommend sending a check instead of a money order. When you see that the check has cleared, you’ll know that your paperwork has been received and is in process
- After your paperwork has been processed and approved, the BATFE will affix a stamp to one of the two Form 4 copies and return it to dealer through whom you purchased the silencer. The dealer will notify you when the paperwork arrives, and you’ll then be able to pick up your item.
If you do not live in a silencer-friendly state, visit the American Suppressor Association for a full list of ways you can help affect change in silencer legislation in your area.